Important Message from the Maryborough Basketball Association Committee – Response to Corona Virus
After great consideration, Maryborough Basketball will be suspending all senior and junior competitions effective immediately until further notice. Whilst the impact of the Coronavirus in young and healthy people is likely to be mild, Maryborough Basketball will now be doing its part to ‘Stop the Spread’. This is not a decision that has been made lightly but instead with the health and well-being of our members and patrons at the forefront of our minds. We will keep you updated with any further development on recommencement of competitions.
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to your continuing support.
Latest Update from Basketball Qld – Response to Corona Virus
COVID-19 Update – 18 March, 2020
Due to the ever-evolving nature surrounding COVID-19, Basketball Queensland (BQ) has been consulting with members and associations following our temporary suspension of all BQ related programs, events and fixtures last Friday (13 March 2020).
We have a duty of care to all our members, from players to volunteers, and as the State governing body it’s important that we factor the health and wellbeing of our participants into every decision we make.
Earlier this morning the Australian Government has revised their ban on indoor gatherings to no more than 100 people and reinforced the practice of social distancing.
As such, we recommend that all basketball activities across the state are suspended until further notice to limit the potential spread of COVID-19 and ensure the safety of our members.
While this will cause some disruptions to the basketball community, we feel this is an appropriate measure given the uncertainty of the current climate.
We can also confirm that the suspension of BQ activities will extend to include the following events;
BQJBC, CQJBC and QNJBC
- BQJBC U16, U18 & U21s Finals – Cancelled
- Medals will be awarded based on the current standings
- BQJBC, CQJBC and QNJBC U12 & U14s – Suspended until 15 May 2020
- We will review the revised start date on 15 April with associations
- We are currently working on a revised draw to ensure a full season for players
- U16 State Championships – Postponed until 19-22nd June 2020 (to be held at same venues if possible)
- We will review this decision in May 2020 to determine if this tournament can proceed at that time
- U12 & U14 State Championships – Unchanged
- We will review the decision to hold the U12s (Boys & Girls: 7-10 July) and U14s (Girls: 28 June – 1 July and Boys: 2-5 July) in May
State Performance Program (SPP) and National Performance Program (NPP)
- All SPP and NPP programs have been suspended until further notice
- Aussie Hoops – All Term 1 Aussie Hoops programs have been suspended by Basketball Australia
- Subsequently, Term Two Aussie Hoops programs and registrations are currently suspended.
Additionally, Basketball Australia have determined the programs identified below will be placed on hold until further notice:
- Walking Basketball
- 3X3 Community Hustle
- National Wheelchair Basketball Leagues (Men’s & Women’s).
NBL 1 North and QSL
- Start date for competitions suspended until 15 May 2020 with Associations to be advised of revised draw.
- This will be reviewed on 9 April 2020 to determine whether these seasons can proceed at that time.
BQ will continue to monitor the situation daily. We acknowledge that this is a dynamic situation and information and advice from the Australian Government and Health Departments will be constantly updated. BQ commits to providing additional information to our members as it becomes available.
Throughout this time all Basketball Queensland staff will be working remotely. Please refer to the Staff page on our website for updated contact details.
Advice to Members
BQ encourages all our members to take all reasonable precautions where appropriate to limit potentials risks in relation to the spread of COVID-19.
Transmission may occur from contaminated surfaces, so it is important to frequently wash your hands.
To protect yourself and others from infection practice good hand and respiratory hygiene including:
- cleaning hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs
- covering your nose and mouth with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing
- avoiding contact with anyone who has symptoms such as fever, a cough, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath; and
- staying home if you are unwell.
If you are feeling unwell, please see your doctor immediately. Before your appointment, please call ahead and advise of your symptoms and recent travel so necessary precautions can be undertaken.